Roulette is one of the most popular table casino games in history and entire casinos and gambling venues are based around it. Roulette is a game of pure luck and does not include any skill or any decision making. The only decision roulette players will make is placing their wagers, and they will do that before the game begins. Wagers are placed on random numbers and are paid if the roulette ball lands on the number or the bet they chose, so it is a matter of pure luck. There is no need to be a professional or an experienced gambler.
How to Play Roulette
Before you start playing online roulette
Here are a few tips you should keep in mind before kickstarting a game of roulette. First, know the rules of the game. Since there are different variants of this game, make sure you know the rules for the variant you are playing. Try them for free first if you have that option available, before placing any real money on the tables
Secondly, your odds improve drastically when you place bets on more than one number. Combo bets, red/black and odd/even are good bets to start with. Finally, you should always keep in mind that even though there are a number of roulette strategies available out there, roulette is a game of chance. You can increase your odds of winning but you can never predict which number will come up next.
Understanding the roulette wheel
The main feature of online roulette is the roulette wheel. It has 38 numbers, including 1 through 36 and a single zero. If you are playing the American Roulette version, then it has an additional double zero option. The numbers are not placed in a consecutive order. Instead, they are out of sequence and alternate between black and red, except for the single and double zeros, which are green.
The roulette wheel is spun in one direction, while the little ball is rolled around the inside of the wheel in the other direction. After a while, the roulette wheel begins to slow down until the ball comes to rest in one of the numbered pockets. Wherever the ball lands, is declared a winner.
Understanding roulette bets
The roulette table has a betting grid, in which roulette numbers are spread out in three vertical columns and twelve horizontal rows. You can place your roulette bet by clicking your mouse on the appropriate area of the table.
There are two types of bets one can place in roulette, namely the Inside Bets and the Outside Bets. The Inside Bets as the name suggests are bets placed inside the betting grid on the table. They entail bets on a single number or a small cluster of up to 6 numbers. They also pay out higher odds.
The Outside Bets on the other hand, are bets placed on the outside of the betting grid and entail bigger groups of 12 or 18 numbers. The payout odds are lower for this. Other bets you should know about include the street bet (placing a bet on three numbers in a row, starting from the left column number), the corner bet (wagering on four numbers), the split bet (a bet on two numbers) and the line bet (wagering on six numbers).
Some roulette games also make room for special bets such as the Call Bets and the Neighbour Bets. These bets are placed on clusters of numbers based on their position on the roulette wheel, in contrast to the position on the roulette wheel.
Roulette is pretty simple and straightforward, but the game does come with a set of rules and etiquette that players have to know before they start placing chips at the table. Here are some of these important rules:
- Players are not permitted to move any of their chips or even touch them once the croupier says no more bets.
- Once the dealer places the dolly object on the winning number, players should not move or touch the chips before he removes it to signal a new round.
- Players cannot use a camera or cell phones at the table as all electronics are prohibited.
Players can only put cigarettes, drinks, money or chips on the roulette table.
- Changing chips or cash can only be done between roulette spins and not during the game play.
- Players who want to place called bets will say it and if the dealer is not busy, he will accept them. These bets are only official if the croupier repeats them in a loud voice.
- The seats at the table are only for players who have bets on the table. This will happen if there is only 1 player sitting at the roulette table. Players who want to sit at the table have to place bets.
- Players can only start to place new bets once the dealer clears all of the losing wagers and has paid all of the winning ones from the last spin. Players will then be given time to place wagers and then he will start to spin the next round.
Of course, most of these rules do not exist in the online gambling world. At online casinos, roulette is a single player game where players will have the roulette table for themselves. There are no croupiers, no other players and no colored chips. Playing roulette online is much easier and simpler in than land based roulette.
You can find plenty of different roulette versions at most online casinos, including the two most commonly played ones, American Roulette, and French Roulette. Some casinos may even offer innovative versions of roulette, created just for the online gambling world.
For example, the mini roulette game is an optional game containing only half of the numbers that are found on a normal wheel of roulette. There is also multi-wheel roulette versions that enable players to place wagers on up to 8 roulette wheels at the same time as each wheel spins separately. Some of these innovative games have their own rules and payouts, so we advise you to check the rules and payout tables of each game before playing. These rules can be viewed by clicking on “Rules” or “View Rules” at the roulette game. Likewise, remember these games may also have their own house edge and payouts.
The odds of the roulette wheel depend on what version of the game is being played. Different versions have different setups, and thus have different odds and a different house edge.
House edge is the advantage the casino has over the players and is the percentage of chips that are taken from the winnings of players. For French roulette, the single zero roulette version, the house advantage or edge is 2.7 percent. For American roulette, the double zero version, it is 5.26 percent and is equal 7.9 percent on the 5-number bet (0-00-1-2-3).
A lot of players prefer to play French roulette because it has a lower house edge. French roulette has better odds than American roulette also because it has one zero, which means that for a straight number bet, players have a 1/37 chance of winning. American roulette has 38 number slots, so for a straight number bet the chance is 1/38 instead of 1/37.
This shows the odds are primarily affected by the version of roulette being played but also are affected by the bet itself. As noted earlier, different bets have different odds.
- Reds/Blacks: This bet is placed on Red or Black and, since the table contains 18 blacks and 18 reds plus 1 or 2 green spots, the odds are almost 50:50. This is why the bet pays even money (1 : 1).
- Even/Odd: Llike the last bet, the odds are 50:50 and it pays even money.
- Straight number bet: Players will place a wager on a specific number and will be paid 35 to 1 since players have a 1/37 or 1/38 chance of winning this bet.
- Three number bets, also called a street bet, pays eleven to one.
- The 6 number bet pays five to one.
- The 2 number bet pays seventeen to one.
- A column or a dozen bet pays two to one.
There are certain rules that can affect these odds. These rules are not implemented in every casino. Some of these rules include:
The En Prison Rule (In Prison):
This rule is applied on the bets that pay even money, such as odds/evens, blacks/reds and 1st half/2nd half. If players place any of these bets and the ball lands on the zero, the player will be able to take half of his bet or keep it all for the next spin. If the ball lands on zero again during the next spin, the entire bet will be lost.
The La Partage Rule:
This rule is quite similar to the previous rule but players will lose half the bet. The second option, to keep the bets for a second spin, is not available.
These two rules cut down the edge of the house on even money bets down to half because they give players a second chance.
Roulette is a random game and players cannot predict the outcome of the spins. However, there are certain betting strategies that can increase the odds. While these strategies will increase the odds, they can never guarantee a win because the outcome of the wheel is 100 percent random. Below we discuss 3 strategies:
1. The Martingale Betting System is basically a double or nothing strategy. In this strategy, players will double up their bets as they lose so they can make up for the money they have lost. Of course, it is not a very successful strategy because players can hit the house limit or they can run out of cash before they can make up for their losses.
2. The Andre Martinez Betting System depends on the odds and the possibilities. It states that players should bet on the same number 35 times since there is a 1/35 probability of winning. This is also not a very successful strategy because there is less than a 61 percent chance of winning if you bet on the same number for 35 consecutive spins. Players can run out of money well before winning.
3. The third strategy states that for a game of roulette, you do not have to only bet on black or red, or just one specific number. There are a lot of other options such as the 1st dozen bets, 2nd dozen bets and 3rd dozen bets. In this strategy, instead of choosing numbers without any calculations, it will use a special strategy and system in order to choose a group of roulette numbers that you will place wagers on. For the purpose of this betting system, the first twelve numbers will be named A, the second twelve will be B while the third twelve will be C. As for the 0 or the 00, they will be named 0.
In order to build the strategy, you should play at an online casino on free mode, so you do not waste your bankroll while learning the strategy. Get a paper and spin the wheel; if it ball lands on the first 12, write down A, the second 12, write down B and the 3rd twelve, write down C. You will do this test in sets of 5. Keep spinning until there is a set of 5 that is missing one of the letters. So if you record B, C, C, B and B, you will stop because A did not show up — you should bet for real money on B and C (the 2nd twelve and 3rd twelve). Keep betting on these numbers and over the long haul you should rack up the wins. The procedure of betting depends on your budget — if you have a low budget then place small bets and if you have a big budget, place big bets.
Roulette Strategies & Tips
One important concept that all gamblers need to understand is that in any game, the house gets its edge by paying winners at less than true odds.
In roulette, payoffs are set so they would reflect true odds if there were only 36 numbers on the wheel. But there actually are 37 or 38 numbers, including 0 and sometimes 00.
If you win a single-number bet, it pays at 35:1 odds, and there would be no house edge if there were only 36 numbers. With the zeroes, the true odds are 36:1 or 37:1.
So it goes for every possible bet. On a two-number split which pays 17-1, true odds are either 17.5:1 or 18:1. On red or black, the payoff is 18:18, which reduces to 1:1, but true odds are either 19:18 or 20:18.
The difference between the odds paid and the true odds is why the house makes money.
It’s equally important to understand that the odds are the same on every spin of the wheel. The way game analysts put it is, “The wheel has no memory.” If a number occurred on the last spin or not in the last 100, the odds remain the same for the next spin.
With the combination of those two simple concepts, the house has its edge of the same size on every spin. Even on a system that is designed to win more often than it loses, the house still will have its edge.
A System that Wins More than it Loses
To illustrate, let’s make up a system that wins more often than it loses. Let’s say you’re playing a double-zero wheel in a set of 38 spins in which each number comes up once.
In our system, we’ll bet $6 on black plus $5 on the two-number split of 0 and 00. That’s $11 per spin for a total risk of $418 for the 38 spins.
On 18 spins, black will win and we’ll win $6 and keep the $6 bet – a total of $12 that exceeds our $11 in wagers.
When the 0 comes up and again on 00, we win $85 on a 17:1 payoff plus keep the $5 wager for a total of $90 on each win.
On each of the 18 red numbers, we lose all $11.
At the end of the trial, the 18 black wins times $12 leaves $216 on our side of the table. The two 0-00 wins times $90 give us another $180, so we have $396 of our original $418.
Divide the house’s $22 by the $418 we risk, then multiply by 100 to convert to percent, and we get 5.26 percent – the normal house edge at double-zero roulette.
Our system wins on 20 numbers and loses on only 18, but it gives the house its usual percentage.
Systems are fun to play, they can win more often than they lose and sometimes you’ll hit a hot streak and walk away with a nice profit. But over extended play, the house will earn its percentage.
Play online Roulette at JeetWin: #1 Online Gambling Casino Games in India